Smart. Simple. Subscription free weather.
We’d like to introduce you to Stratus, a new high-performance, battery powered, portable, wire-free ADS-B weather receiver designed to work hand in glove with ForeFlight Mobile. Stratus is the result of a collaboration between Appareo Systems, ForeFlight, and Sporty’s.
We believe that Stratus is best-in-class when it comes to portable ADS-B weather receivers, and we’re delighted to announce that Stratus support will land with ForeFlight Mobile 4.5.
Stratus uses the ADS-B weather network, so it does not require any additional subscription for in-flight weather services. It is a great option for owner-flown aircraft, flight schools, renters, flying clubs, and even corporate flight departments looking for less expensive in-flight weather options that don’t require retrofitting their aircraft. Even if your aircraft already has in-panel in-flight weather support, Stratus is an inexpensive backup that could come in handy when needed, and is portable between aircraft.
The first time you fly with a fully-charged Stratus is a thrill. Carry it into your plane, don’t connect any wires, turn it on, and then see the green ADS-B signal indicator light up, indicating receipt of ADS-B transmissions.
ForeFlight customers will find the transition from using ForeFlight on the ground for pre-flight weather analysis to in-flight weather monitoring a seamless one. The only change is that data sourced from Stratus will include an “ADS-B” label, indicating the source of the data is from the ADS-B system. Adding to the experience is deep integration between Stratus and ForeFlight Mobile, like the ability to control the brightness of the three Stratus LED indicators from within ForeFlight, a satellite status indicator for the Stratus’ on-board WAAS GPS, ADS-B ground station signal information, ages for both text and radar products, Stratus power options, and battery levels.
Features and Specifications
- Compact design with a rugged enclosure: 5.8″ x 4.2″ x 1.1″.
- Internal antenna for wire-free operation in most cockpits.
- Long battery life operation for up to 8 hours. Recharges via a standard Micro USB cable.
- Active WAAS GPS for improved position information and support for speeds up to 900 KTAS (in the event you need ADS-B weather on the way to the moon).
- LED indicators with ambient light sensors for battery health, power, and ADS-B station reception. Adjustable brightness from within ForeFlight Mobile.
- Tested to DO160F for magnetic effect and altitude, ESD via the 8kV Human Body Model, and vibration tested using 10-500-10Hz 1oct/min 1hr/axis (3 axis).
- iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4+ strongly recommended.
If you would like more information on the Stratus weather box, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 614.237.4271.